Sunday, September 18, 2011

My baby girl is 8



Birthdays in our house are a big deal. Any opportunity to have breakfast in bed, dinner at really nice restaurants, gift giving, throwing a party, bringing icy poles or cake to school…we do it best!Hell, I gave birth to them, I’m going to spoil them rotten one day of the year!
 
My children are perfect. Ha! But that middle one, she has been an angel, from when she was in-utero all the way 'til 8 (let’s hope it continues). She is so very sweet and good natured, fair and kind as well as smart, funny and exceptionally loyal and lets not forget beautiful (come on I’m her mother, I’m just a teeny bit biased!).
 
Whilst daddy is away it’s up to me to bake a cake, video and photograph the day and document anything that may go on – whilst having just a few of our nearest and dearest to celebrate.
Hopefully, one day she will look back and say "my ma was a legend"(maybe yes?,or maybe she’ll think “what the f@*% was she thinking!”)
Our conversation over breakfast on Tuesday morning went something like this…
Frank said, “Keep an eye out for my present from Aunty Marika, she’s sending me a card with lollies and chocolate”, I said, “What do I get for giving birth to you?” and she say’s (dead pan), “Happiness!”,she obviously feels valued and so she should, she’s one of the best decisions I ever made!
This afternoon we'll be having a few people over to sing Happy Birthday and have a bite to eat…(her birthday party is next weekend)
I’ll be making fish fingers and cut up raw veg for the kids (as requested by the birthday girl) and the adults (all 3 of us) will be having my Quinoa and Vegetable soup (will post these recipes on Monday or Tuesday). 
The birthday cake Frank picked is my Chocolate and Raspberry Brownies – when asked what cake she’d like me to cook it was a toss up between donuts or brownies. She said she’d like brownies, but did they have to be beetroot? ”Can I have the ones you used to make?” 
My original and best Chocolate and Raspberry Brownies – your wish ‘sweet cheeks’ is my command!
Have the most wonderful birthday chuchie! 
love you xxxx
Chocolate and Raspberry Brownies
preheat your oven to 180c
What you'll need:
3 eggs
200g unsalted butter
250g dark 70% chocolate
100g milk chocolate
200g raw sugar or rapadura
150g flour - spelt or rice(for gluten free)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup of frozen broken up raspberries
(Totally forgot the melting chocolate & butter, then pouring into the eggs & sugar, that would be step 2 - sorry)
How to make:
Beat the eggs in your kitchen aid (or similar)
add half teaspoon of salt
Whilst this is doing its thing, melt the butter and 150g of the dark chocolate in a heatproof bowl over simmering water till melted
Now add the sugar to the eggs - keep it whisking...
Once the chocolate has melted and has cooled slightly, pour slowly into the mixer and keep it beating until well combined
Add the flour, cinnamon, baking powder and leftover salt - fold gently
Finally add the rest of the dark chocolate and the milk chocolate - chopped up finally
and the raspberries, which you'll need the break up in a zip lock bag with either a wooden spoon or rolling pin
Fold these in, then pop the mixture in your brownie tin and bake for 20-25min in 180c oven
Once cooked let the brownie cool for 15min
 Best eaten warm with ice-cream!


©Michelle Schoeps 2013
All photos taken by Michelle Schoeps

No comments:

Post a Comment