Monday, September 12, 2011

A Fluke!




I've been a lot under the weather this week and I'd meant to post this on Friday, but as it turned out Friday was not a good day for me so today is the day!
Ear infections suck – big time!!! 
I’ll never fob my kids off again if they tell me their ear hurts, because I know first hand how bad they can be!

So this is my biscuit / cake recipe as promised for Rochie – week 3
Banana Chocolate Cake - 2 ways
I’ve made this cake many times usually with yoghurt(I did a gluten free post a while back). This time all I had was sour cream. Both way's were moist and delicious, but very different from one another.
The other difference being this time I used more chocolate, which for some reason sunk to the bottom and made this delicious chocolate crust - so good! 
Whichever way you make it you wont be disappointed!

Sour cream & Banana Chocolate Cake

 3 small bananas
1/2 lemon juiced - to put on the banana's to keep them from going brown
250g - 1cup spelt flour - sifted along with...
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 salt
160g sugar - a mixture of dark muscovado, rapadura and normal
125g butter - softened
100g sour cream
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1-1½ cups of chocolate - half dark/half milk
2 teaspoons of warm milk
1/2 bi-carb
How I made it:

Start by beating the butter and sugars together till light and fluffy
Mash the bananas, sour-cream and lemon juice together, then pour into the butter and sugar and mix again
Now the eggs and vanilla go in - mix
Turn your mixer off and sift in the flour, cinnamon, baking powder - mix with a wooden spoon
 Then your chocolate goes in - mix
Followed by your warmed milk with the bicarb dissolved into it - mix this in really well.

Pour into you prepared lined tin and bake on 
180c for 45 - 50 min
Let cool slightly and eat warm...mmmmm

Yoghurt Banana and Chocolate Cake


Follow the directions above
The difference being I used:
Only dark chocolate
raw sugar and demerara sugar
wholemeal flour
150g Barambah sweetened Greek yoghurt
and 3 large very ripe banana's
For some reason in the yoghurt version the chocolate didn't sink to the bottom - but as I said both were Divine!


I've been living on jelly, ice cream and painkillers for the past week....nice to be back on the mend!


©Michelle Schoeps 2013
All photos taken by Michelle Schoeps
 - recipe originally adapted from Tessa Kiros 'Apples for Jam'

No comments:

Post a Comment