Wednesday, May 4, 2011

I’ve had an out-of-body experience with a butcher....




Not the rude type, the food type!


Anthia, you were correct, it’s the best butcher ever!

I first visited them over the Easter weekend and have been going back every couple of days for a fix. It lived up to everything I’ve heard and more.



Their meat is beautiful it comes from happy animals. Animals that have lived a happy life eating grass and roaming the fields, like all animals should be allowed to do.


And if you’re thinking that going down to Vaucluse is to much of a trek well you’ll be happy to know that they also home deliver once a week (on Monday’s, as long as your order is in by 12pm Monday).



Wilco's other friend, which he calls "Dog Nose"

Just so you know, I’m not a big meat eater (frank and Max are) but the rest of us can take it or leave it. But If I’m going to buy any meat for my family it’s going to be the best quality, and this is it.  After my ‘GRUB’ (Grass Roots Urban Butchery) experience, I’m a changed woman, from now on it’s pasture fed/ethical meat for my family.
Can I just add that not only do they have the best meat, they also have, whole milk yoghurt, bio-dynamic butter, incredible cheese, coconut juice, only the best Olive oil, salt, tea.....the list goes on.



Mazzy even scored – organic chicken livers and a juicy lamb bone.

I’m sure I’ve mentioned before, my frustration at not being able to buy fresh, unfrozen unpackaged stock anywhere, well now you can, they make their own. So when I’m desperate for stock for a risotto I know who to call.

my stock pot is half the size of their one



Things I’ve made over the past couple of weeks with their meat:

Pork stock

Bacon, stinky cheese and onion toastie – they have the best bacon EVER!

Bacon crumbs for my corn soup

Slow cooked pork

Different variety of steaks for Max

Veal schnitzel

Bolognese

Spaghetti and meatballs

Chicken stock



Keep up the good work – I love your store! (if you could'nt tell)

G.R.U.B – Grass Roots Urban Butchery
101 New South Head Rd Vaucluse NSW 2030
Open – Mon-Fri 7am – 7pm
Saturday 7am – 4pm

©Michelle Schoeps 2013
All photos taken by Michelle Schoeps

2 comments:

  1. I love your new blog header! Great post once again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey michelle my dear friend terri martin told me i would love your blog as we share the same healthy food values....your blog is great! ...and yes GRUB is our butcher as well. its so delicious. xx

    ReplyDelete